Choosing a law firm to begin or advance your legal career is a daunting task. Most of the large firms in Nevada have similar practice areas, represent similar clients, have nice offices, and make the same claims to providing quality representation to their clients. However, differences exist between firms, and the differences at McDonald Carano make it the best law firm in Nevada in which to work. We are extremely proud to say we have been awarded as one of the Greater Reno-Tahoe “Best Places to Work.”
For nearly 70 years, we have developed a culture within the firm that is the backbone of our organization. We emphasize the highest levels of professionalism and integrity in dealing with our clients and with lawyers in other firms, but equally important to us is an emphasis on treating our lawyers and employees with the same level of respect and professionalism. We have created a collaborative and friendly environment in which all of our professionals know each other and are comfortable interacting with each other. Finally, we have strong connections to the state and to the communities in which we live.
We believe that McDonald Carano is the best law firm in Nevada because, while we all have different interests and backgrounds, we share a commitment to each other, to the firm, to our communities, and to providing top quality representation to our clients.
Based on these principles, we hire intelligent, motivated, creative, and personable individuals who share our goals. Over the years, we have found that these traits, along with a willingness to operate in a collegial environment and to practice law with the highest levels of personal integrity, are the main factors that lead to a successful career at our firm. Our strategic plan for the future begins with hiring talented individuals to work in our summer program, and then train and develop them so that they will eventually become partners in the firm.
By adhering to these practices, our firm has enjoyed steady growth with very high levels of attorney and staff retention. We have found that once lawyers start at the firm, they enjoy great satisfaction in working together and helping to foster and promote the firm’s goals. We make every effort to provide the training and the environment to help our lawyers succeed both personally and professionally.
We hire lawyers directly from law school and from judicial clerkships. We also make lateral hires from the private and public sectors.
Please contact Kelli Vandenberg for summer intern, and associate positions.
If you are an experienced attorney with interest in joining our firm, please contact our Managing Partner, Jeff Silvestri.
Business and Professional Staff Positions
McDonald Carano offers our staff distinctive careers by continuously seeking ways to enhance their experience and investing in individual growth, development, and career-path exploration. Please take a few minutes to explore this site and learn more about our firm.
McDonald Carano is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all qualified persons without regard to such factors as race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other protected status, consistent with federal, state, and local equal employment opportunity laws.
Many members of our staff have been with McDonald Carano for ten years or longer; however, the Firm does have openings from time to time and encourages you to submit your resume to Kelli Vandenberg, Director of Human Resources, for review and consideration.
Current Openings (Staff Positions)
Legal Secretary Trust and Estate Practice – Reno, NV
McDonald Carano LLP, one of the largest law firms in Nevada, currently has an excellent full-time legal secretary opportunity in the Private Wealth Group of our Reno, Nevada office. We offer relocation assistance, competitive compensation and an excellent benefits package for the ideal candidate. Having been awarded Best Place to Work 5 years in a row, shows our commitment to maintaining a positive culture and work-life balance.
The Trust & Estate Secretary will assist a senior partner in the preparation and revision of trusts, wills and other related estate planning documents. In addition, the Secretary will be responsible for administrative duties, including, but not limited to, answering phones, maintaining client files, managing attorneys’ calendars, travel itineraries and processing expense reports.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist in the formation and operation of family trust companies.
- Revise and redline correspondence, trusts, wills, partnership agreements, pleadings, corporate agreements, tax petitions and correspondence.
- Assist in drafting legal documents, including wills, trusts, powers of attorney and advance health care directives.
- Assist in the preparation of contracts, business agreements, operating agreements and partnership agreements.
- Facilitate the transfer of assets and stock certificates to beneficiaries of trusts and estates.
- Obtain Federal Tax ID EIN number for trusts and estates.
- Assist in the formation of legal entities and related documentation.
- Gather information and prepare materials for filing 706 estate tax returns, income tax returns and fiduciary income tax returns for decedents.
- Calendar quarterly income tax payments for trusts and estates.
- File forms related to non-profit organizations.
- File petitions for probate, trust-related documents, pleadings and declarations with applicable courts.
- Prepare engagement letters and new matter reports for new clients.
- Anticipate client and attorney’s needs, organize and set up meetings and appointments in a timely fashion, update files and provided daily calendar reminders of all scheduled meetings, court hearings and appointments. Coordinate with attorneys as to time, location and participants associated with meetings, and make travel arrangements.
- Obtain files for review by attorney prior to meeting with clients. Prepare and update binders with executed estate planning documents. Scan all executed estate planning documents to the electronic file system and send original documents to the vault.
- Manage incoming and outgoing calls for partner.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES:
The position requires exemplary organizational skills, attention to detail, top-notch client service skills, strong verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to work well under pressure, multi-task and set priorities while meeting deadlines in a fast-paced environment. The successful candidate will be a team player with a positive attitude, and the ability to effectively interface with clients, client representatives, outside counsel and advisors.
QUALIFICATIONS & PRIOR EXPERIENCE:
The ideal candidate will have at least five years of experience in trust and estate planning for high net worth clients. Proficiency with Windows-based software and Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook are required.
A BACHELOR’S DEGREE AND/OR PARALEGAL CERTIFICATION IS A PLUS.
Reno-Tahoe isn’t just a vacation destination! Northern Nevada is situated in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, just a 40 minute drive from beautiful, breathtaking Lake Tahoe. The area offers year-round outdoor activities, endless entertainment and dining options. Just a short jaunt from the Silicon Valley and the Bay Area, our economy is booming! No State income tax and affordable housing makes our area very desirable for new businesses and families to call Northern Nevada home.
Please submit your resume to HR@mcdonaldcarano.com